Tuesday, October 10, 2017

A Survivor Mentality


   “Shooter on Campus” was a required training video for my job as a community college writing tutor. After avoiding the assignment for several days, I watched with another tutor during a slow period, and bit my fingernails during the scary parts. Welcome to 21st century reality.


The video focused on developing a Survivor Mentality, so you can react efficiently and effectively when crises arise. You can apply a Survivor Mentality to many life events.

Life hands all of us the occasional nasty surprise, like fierce storms, traffic accidents, health issues, and threatening intruders.  Thinking constantly about potential threats isn’t healthy, so we protect ourselves the best we can, put up mental walls, and try not to dwell on negatives we can’t control. Denial helps us sleep at night.

But in a scary situation, denial and the fear-mone rush of panic can prevent untrained people from responding well. Someone trained with a Survivor Mentality recognizes the threat quickly, and feels anxiety, but does not panic. (S)he:

·                assesses the situation
·                decides on a course of action
·                works with others to flee, hide, or fight
·                looks for ways to help others survive

For instance, a classroom of students can spread out, throw things at a shooter, and overwhelm the intruder with their collective power.

I didn’t realize how quickly I’d need my Survivor Mentality training to face a panic-inducing threat. But I’ve worked hard not to panic, and relied on friends and experts to help me assess the situation and decide the best course of action.

My current crisis is Breast Cancer. It’s not my first tough challenge, and will probably not be my last. But since I was diagnosed at the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I’m taking this as a sign to use my writing ability and share this experience – to increase awareness among others, to give hope and thanks, and to help me process this journey and make the most of it, as a human and as a writer. There are lessons I’m supposed to learn, lessons I’m supposed to share, and lessons my allies will learn from helping me through this. Suffering can build character and compassion, and the world can always use more of both.

Within a week of diagnosis, my husband and I were introduced to the cancer team at Wesley Long hospital. They had already assessed my biopsy and mammogram reports and could give me a diagnosis and plan for treatment. New 3-D mammogram technology had discovered my lump before it could be felt by me or the doctors, and it does not appear to have spread to my lymph nodes. I’ll have more tests, surgery, probably radiation, and hopefully not chemo. Mine is the type of breast cancer diagnosed in more than 80% of cases, so they have lots of treatments. It’s not life-threatening these days, just a bit life-altering.

The physical therapist was the last team member to visit me, and she described another therapist as a ‘survivor.’ I asked when to call myself a survivor.

She smiled and said, “You are one now.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment